Monday, July 18, 2011

Theme Parks

Theme parks can be a great thing for families. Not only do families spend time bonding, but many such as SeaWorld and the Zoo are also very educational for young children. However the idea sounds a lot easier than it actually is. No matter how well behaved your own children are, you need to have patience for the other people in the park. Every time I go I see at least one parent who is in over their heads. One toddler was having a meltdown and the father just walked away. I knew the father was trying to get his child to follow him but the child was not budging, being me I had to stay around and wait to make sure he wasn't really being left alone. Another mother freaked out when she saw him alone, and the father came running back explaining himself to her. I would have had the same reaction had I not seen the entire encounter. A mom that I babysit for recently took her three sons to SeaWorld and immediately after entering they were arguing and whining, even the best kids have their off days. She gave them two warnings and on the third strike they left without being there thirty minutes. I praise her for this. The fact that she stuck with her word and followed through is a hard thing to do. Sometimes you have to be stern. Outings like this are a privilege. You do not want to be the family with the kids screaming and the parents are telling their kids never to act like yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment