Friday, February 4, 2011

wow.

Yesterday when I was skimming through the Wall Street Journal, (I just read the headlines so I know a summary of what is going on in the world) I came upon this article. At first I was speechless, what 8 year old wears make up? Yes, flavored chapstick or even a lip gloss, but make up? The article goes on to talk about 8 year old putting on moisturizer (that's fine), lip gloss, eyeshadow, and mascara. This boggles my mind. MAYBE for a special occasion like a father daughter dance, or a wedding, I will let my daughter add a little shine to her everyday style. However, what kind of message are we sending out when 8 year olds feel the need to wear make up. I don't even think middle schoolers should wear it. My younger sister is 14, and yes she does wear simple make up, some mascara and or eye liner, maybe a little blush. However some of the girls at her school cake it on and it is ridiculous, especially because there parents are most likely funding these purchases. The article says that the average 8 year old is spending $9.20/month on beauty products. I do not wear a great deal of make up, and I probably spend that much in 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment