Friday, February 4, 2011

opinions

So this video wouldn't let me embed it but here is the youtube link

So if you don't watch it, it is just some stereotypes in children's entertainment. The lazy Mexicans, the African American always being a natural hip hop dancer, smart Asians who do kung-fu.

However when I was a child, I know I did not think of t like this. Maybe because I grew up in a neighborhood where we had a very diverse cul-de-sac crew. I had my best friend Kimberly who is Asian. and I was at her house all of the time. Next door were two Lebanese girls who always played with us as well. Across the street was a Jewish family. At the top of the street an African American family, there was an Italian family, and a Chaldean family. All of the kids from all of these different backgrounds, and we would all go outside and play games and go to each others houses and it never even occurred to us that we were all different. Maybe because besides the color of our skin, we weren't.

So while I can see the stereotypes being portrayed, I do not think children are that easily persuaded. Maybe if these ideas are reinforced by he family, but I do not think media or movies are what make people racists.

No comments:

Post a Comment