Tuesday, February 8, 2011

gypsy queen


So I am a 7-11 frequenter. Not as often as I am hitting up Starbucks, but I take the children that I watch to get slurpees every Friday or on special occasions. (After a dentist appointment, r an extremely hot day) Anyways, my point is not really about 7-11. It is about rules, and teaching them to your children. They learn through example, and from trying things that do not necessarily pan out the way they had planned.
So it is Friday after school and we pull u to 7-11. I tell the boys "you can either get a slurpee or a candy." without thinking that through they know they want a slurpee, so we go to the machine and make a mixture of all of the flavors, because when you are 6 & 7 that is what is cool. So while I am finishing up the slurpees, the elder of the two walks over to the candy aisle, I didn't think anything of it until we got to the counter. When I reached to pay for the slurpees, the 7-11 man said "I think someone may have something else." I WAS SHOCKED. I kindly asked the boy to return the candy to the aisle, and to apologize, he did. He walked to the car with his head down, knowing what was to come.
I had to tell his mom. I see this family multiple times a week and I know these kids like family. I know he did not mean any harm, but I also know that he knows it is not right to do that, and it is not okay to think he can pull a fast one on ME. She had him tell her the story (very smart) and he apologized to her again and they talked about why this is not right. I think she handled this perfectly, she is a great mother and the kids are generally very well behaved. They are boys, and boys will be boys. All children, and grown ups learn from their mistakes, and it makes us who we are.


On a more personal note, when I was 6 years old I went to the dentist. I am a weird child and I love the dentist. Now I love it because of the feeling after they clean my teeth, I used to love it for the prizes. We got to pick one prize from the prize closet while the dentist talked to mom about what I needed to do better. It always seemed that I needed to floss more. Anyways one time, I thought I would be SNEAKY. I took 16 rings. You know just what I needed. Who needs 16 rings anyways? I thought I was going to get away with it, but my mom checked my bag to see what prize I chose, and BAM - 16 rings. I was in trouble. My mom made me walk back into the dentist and dump them on the counter, IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. I remember this because it is probably the most embarrassing moment of my life to date. But oooh did I learn my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment